Q.  How does the State receive unclaimed property?

Delaware's Unclaimed Property Law requires corporations, businesses, associations, financial institutions, courts, and insurance companies (referred to as "Holders") to annually report and deliver property to the Department of Finance after there has been no activity on the account or contact with the owner for a period of time specified in the law-generally three (3) to five (5) years. Often, contact is lost when the owner forgets that the account exists, or moves and does not leave a forwarding address, or the forwarding order expires. In some cases, the owner dies and the heirs have no knowledge of the property.

Q.  How do I claim my property?

Complete a request form, include a copy of a government issued ID (EX: drivers license or passport), and mail your request to:

Delaware Bureau of Unclaimed Property
PO Box 8931
Wilmington, DE 19899

Q.  I am the executor of an estate. How do I claim property on behalf of the estate?

In addition to submitting the completed request form and a copy of your government issued ID, you must provide documentation demonstrating that you have a legal right to claim property on behalf of the deceased or the estate. (EX: A certified Letter of Testamentary or small Estate Affidavit for Estates.) Please note that a power of attorney and related documents become void after death.

For Delaware decedents, additional information can be found on the following county websites:

Q.  I have been informed that Delaware is holding property for me but cannot find my name on the website.

The list available on this website contains property that was included in our most recent publication. This list is static and includes names and addresses loaded into our database during the prior fiscal period. If your name does not appear on this list, it may still be in our database.

To inquire about your property you may complete a request form and mail it to:

Delaware Bureau of Unclaimed Property
PO Box 8931
Wilmington, DE 19899

Q.  How long do I have to claim my property?

The State acts only as custodian for the missing owners, holding the property in trust until it is claimed. There is no statute of limitations regarding refund requests. You may submit a request form at any time.

Q.  My securities were escheated to Delaware. Can I get them back?

The State liquidates all securities. As such, proceeds for the sale of shares will be returned upon refund approval.

Q.  Is there a fee to process my request?

No. There are no service charges assessed for a claim refund.

Q.  Will the State pay interest for the time it held my property?

Delaware Unclaimed Property law does not provide for the payment of interest.

Q.  Once my request form has been mailed to the Bureau of Unclaimed Property, how long will it be before I receive a claim form?

Once your request has been received by the Bureau of Unclaimed Property, please allow 3-5 weeks to receive a claim form in the mail if property is found. If additional information is needed, some owners may receive a request for additional information in lieu of a claim form.

If property is not found in your name, you will receive a letter informing you that a claim cannot be initiated.

You may contact escheat.claimquestions@state.de.us to inquire as to whether or not your request form was received.

Q.  How long will it take to approve my claim for payment?

The length of time it takes to approve a refund varies by situation and depends heavily on the completeness and accuracy of documentation provided by property claimants. For an update on your claim you may contact escheat.claimquestions@state.de.us.

Q.  Once my claim is approved, can my refund be sent via wire payment or ACH?

The Bureau of Unclaimed Property cannot send funds via wire payment or ACH. A check will be sent to the address listed on your claim form.

Q.  Where do I go to search for unclaimed property held by other states?

You can start your search for unclaimed property held by other states through the National Association of Unclaimed Property Administrators (NAUPA) website: http://www.unclaimed.org/

Q.  What type of unclaimed property does the State receive?

The State receives various forms of financial property including, but not limited to: un-cashed/undelivered/unclaimed dividends, wages, refunds, deposits, interests, payments for goods and services, stock, debentures, bonds, etc. Unclaimed property received by the State does not include real estate.