Obtenciòn de Certificaciòn Tributaria para el DMV en Español
Under Senate Bill 59 of 2015, individuals who were previously unable to obtain a drivers’ license, ID card or moped operators’ permit can now obtain these documents in Delaware.
The issuance of the license, permit or identification card is not an acceptable form of identification for federal agencies for certain official purposes.
In order to apply for a license/permit, you must follow the steps below:
- Have an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) or Social Security number;
- Apply for and obtain identity documents such as a valid, current foreign passport or other foreign government photo ID card;
- Obtain two residency documents such as copies of a residential lease, utility bill, or bank statement;
- Be able to prove you filed a Delaware tax return or been claimed as a dependent on a Delaware income tax return for the two most recent consecutive tax years, and;
- Obtain a certification letter, at no cost, online from the Delaware Division of Revenue’s office
Taxpayers can self-certify online if they have filed two years of Delaware tax returns as a primary or secondary taxpayer and used an ITIN. All others must make an appointment with the Delaware Division of Revenue’s office. See "Making Appointments" below.
Once you have self-certified, you can print your certification letter and make an appointment with the DMV. See “Making Appointments” below.
First: To make an initial appointment with the Delaware Division of Revenue’s office, call the taxpayer services hotline at 1-800-292-7826 or 302-577-8200. See “Obtain your Delaware Division of Revenue’s Tax Certification” below.
Second: An appointment must also be made with the DMV only AFTER obtaining a certification letter from the Delaware Division of Revenue’s office. Walk-ins will not be accepted. Visit the DMV website for more details.
Obtaining an ITIN
The IRS can assist you in getting your ITIN number at no cost. You can obtain the application online for an ITIN at the IRS website and if you need assistance with the IRS process please visit their ITIN information page. The ITIN process for an application takes about 4 - 8 weeks.
If you choose to use an organization/company/individual to obtain an ITIN, you may be charged a fee.
Certification Letter Information
The certification letter is provided at no cost applicants online or through appointments by calling the taxpayer services hotline, 1-800-292-7826 or 302-577-8200. You must bring a photo ID and your ITIN letter from the IRS or Social Security card with you to your appointment.
The letter expires 12 months after the issue date and you must wait 24 hours after getting the certification letter before you make an appointment with the DMV.
If you are a dependent, and you are unable to self-certify online, you must make an appointment. If we can confirm that you were claimed on any Delaware income tax return for the two most recent and consecutive tax years, you will be issued a certification letter.
- Link to DMV
- Link to DMV Driving Privilege Card
- IRS Link to obtain an Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN)
- United Way Website to obtain an ITIN
- Link to Delaware Division of Revenue’s Branch Offices
- Individual Income Tax home page
- Individual Income Tax Forms
- Senate Bill 59
- For more information please visit the DMV FAQ